medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, vacation time, paid holidays, sick time, 403(b), retirement plan, hybrid
Who We Are
Tacoma Community College (TCC) is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 14,000 students. We embrace our identity as a community college. Our stated mission is to create meaningful and relevant learning, inspire greater equity, and celebrate success in our lives and in our communities. We are recognized nationally as an Achieving the Dream "Leader College," and our faculty are engaged in innovative work to improve student retention and program completion. According to the Community College Survey of Student Engagement, TCC ranks high on measures of active learning and academic challenge, thanks to our creative and scholarly faculty. To grow this workforce, we seek to recruit faculty who exemplify similar attributes:
- Reflects the diversity of our community,
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching,
- Honors the campus mission promoting equitable access to educational opportunities,
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for underrepresented populations,
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others, and
- Engages with the community both within and outside of TCC.
For information on Tacoma and the surrounding area:
Part-Time Faculty positions at the college are open continuously and reviewed on a quarter-by-quarter basis. Individuals who apply to the applicant pool are considered active for a period of 12 months from the application date and may be contacted when vacancies occur. Submitting an application does not guarantee that a position will be available or offered.
This position is responsible for preparing and teaching introductory physics courses.
- Prepare and teach introductory algebra based and / or calculus based physics.
- Masters degree in Physics or closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Experience teaching college level physics courses.
Conditions of Employment
- Successfully complete a criminal history background check prior to employment.
The Successful Candidate Must Demonstrate
- Commitment to establishing and maintaining a safe classroom environment for students.
- Effective listening and customer service when working with others.
- Excellent customer service skills; including establishing, building, and maintaining internal/external customer satisfaction.
- Professional and courteous interactions with students, faculty, and staff.
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Ethics and integrity.
- Dynamic, non-traditional delivery methods to teach students of widely varying levels of proficiency and from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles.
- Experience using computers as an instructional aid in and out of the classroom to enhance learning.
Application Material & Procedures
Complete application packages must include the following:
- Tacoma Community College online application form.
- Cover letter and resume. In your cover letter indicate how your background and experience meets the qualifications for this position.
- Copies of transcripts for all colleges and universities attended.
Terms of Employment
This is a part time faculty position contracted on a quarterly basis. Part time faculty salary range is per credit hour starting at $909.33 to $1,240.16. Salary ranges are subject to any approved COLA's after initial placement. If applicable, Lab credit hours are paid at 50% the credit hour rate. Professional Services hours are paid at a flat rate of $44.00-$44.00 per hour. Placement on the faculty salary schedule will commensurate with educational background and experience per the (Article 4.00 Academic Employee Compensation ).
Part-time faculty may become eligible for healthcare and retirement benefits at the beginning of the second consecutive quarter of half-time or more employment at one or more Washington state institutions of higher education. Half time is determined based on each institution's definition of full time. Members may 'stack' workloads between other qualifying colleges. A part-time faculty member must qualify each quarter they teach, to maintain eligibility. Once eligible, part-time faculty will be notified of their benefit and retirement options. Tacoma Community College offers offers one personal leave day per academic year if the PTF have been awarded a multi-quarter appointment. Sick leave is awarded every quarter based on the full-time equivalent teaching percent. If eligibility requirements are met, a comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance. Life and long- term disability insurance plans reduced tuition
for the employee; and retirement benefits are also provided. For more information,
please visit our employment page/employment benefits: A collective bargaining agreement exist and membership in the TCC Federation of Teachers or payment of a service fee and is available anytime upon hire. Evening and off campus assignments may be a part of the instructional load. Flexibility is required to meet the needs of the department. Degrees must be from accredited colleges or universities recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and verified by National Student Clearinghouse. International degrees will be verified for U.S. equivalency.
Tacoma Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator. Tacoma Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). Provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Stephen Smith, Title VII and Title IX, Building 14, 253-566-5055; Dr. Davi Kallman, Section 504 Officer, Building 7, 253-566-5157.
This recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job description and can be changed and or modified without notice.
Tacoma Community College
6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14, Tacoma WA 98466