Bachelor's degree in a related specialized area or the equivalent experience is required plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience to meet managerial expectations.
Responsibilities for this Position
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Ready to be a leader with the company that is committed to pushing the limits of truly advanced technologies? At General Dynamics Mission Systems, we create the products and services that help our service members, intelligence analysts and first responders keep our nation safe. The work we do is so advanced, it's often classified. If you want to put your talent in the spotlight, it's waiting for you right now, right here.
What you'll experience:
We apply advanced technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, AR/VR, Cloud Native and Quantum Physics to solve our customers' missions in cyber, RF, undersea, interstellar and everything in between.
As a seasoned leader, the Manufacturing Operations Manager will lead team members to establish measurements to monitor performance to established processes and procedures by implementing production/manufacturing plans. You'll also identify, analyze and monitor scope changes to include documenting and communicating any cost, schedule or risk impact, as well as generate and monitor budgets, schedules, earned value, and staffing requirements and lead teams in resolving business related issues.
What you bring to the table:
- Oversees the manufacturing operations and delivery schedule for the Guidance hardware
- Responsible for managing an exempt and union team and conducting meaningful performance reviews, career development discussions, communication meetings, and recognitions
- Ensures the effective use of materials, equipment, and personnel in producing high quality products at minimum costs
- Regular customer interface supporting technical issues
- Drive culture that aligns with the mission critical nature of the programs and customer being supported
- Responsible for Manufacturing's compliance with the Common Process Framework and internal/external requirements
- Identifies and quantifies risks and opportunities for program execution and drives mitigation plans
- Drives a culture of continuous improvement throughout the organization with a focus on process and tools
- Champions a data-driven culture especially in the area of product quality, production cost, and factory-wide metrics
- Collaborate across departments to ensure program objectives are aligned and understood
- Supports the development and monitoring of department related activities including staffing requirements, budgets, physical space, and capital
- Focus on capital investments that ensure equipment and machinery drive technology and improvement into the organization
- Leads the development and sustainment of effective and visible factory-wide programs such as continuous improvement, training, ESD, calibration, 5S, and shop floor visual management
- Manages group activities to develop and implement long-range goals and objectives to meet business objectives
- Supports factory tours and customer visit
- Travel may be required
What sets you apart:
- A Bachelor's degree in a related specialized area or the equivalent experience plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience to meet managerial expectations
- Excellent demonstration of leadership, motivational, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and achieve results through others
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment executing government contracts
- Capable of understanding complex products and high-tech manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated ability to motivate team or project personnel to develop innovative ideas for resolving business or project related issues through continuous improvement
- Demonstrated analytical knowledge in budgeting, planning, problems solving and cost analysis
- Proficient understanding of the full manufacturing lifecycle for new and mature products
- Proficient ability to multi-task without losing focus to complete priority assignments
- Ability to stay calm in a high-pressure atmosphere
- Working knowledge and experience with manufacturing processes, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)/Manufacturing
- Resource Planning (MRP) systems and factory operating objectives
- Knowledge of Lean and Six-Sigma problem solving techniques
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in the use of MS Office (Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Demonstrated Leadership
- Strong Interpersonal Skills
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Highly Motivated
- Ability to gather and analyze data to support efforts to reduce cost, improve efficiencies and improve operator performance
- Union Management
- This position is fully on-site with some with flexibility to work remote on occasion. While on-site, you will be a part of the Pittsfield, MA facility - Learn more at
Target salary range: USD $126,577.80/Yr. - USD $136,961.10/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary. This job posting will remain open until the position is filled.
At General Dynamics Mission Systems, we rise to the challenge each day to ensure the safety of those that lead, serve, and protect the world we live in. We do this by making the world's most advanced defense platforms even smarter. Our engineers redefine what's possible and our manufacturing team brings it to life, building the brains behind the brawn on submarines, ships, combat vehicles, aircraft, satellites, and other advanced systems.
We pride ourselves in being a great place to work with this shared sense of purpose, committed to a diverse and exciting employee experience that drives innovation and creates a community where all feel welcome and a part of something amazing.
We offer highly competitive benefits and a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. To see more about our benefits, visit
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
ABOUT GENERAL DYNAMICS IN PITTSFIELD, MA
Come work for General Dynamics Mission Systems in beautiful Berkshire County, located on the western edge of Massachusetts. The Berkshires are very family friendly with excellent schools. The housing market is very affordable compared to surrounding larger cities. General Dynamics provides exceptional salaries in Berkshire County which provides a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family.
The surrounding area is a cultural center for arts and theater, including established venues such as Tanglewood, Mass Museum of Contemporary Arts, The Clark Art Institute and the Norman Rockwell Museum, to name a few. Berkshire County is also a recreation hub with mountains for hiking or mountain biking, multiple lakes, ski areas, golf courses and even the Appalachian Trail. Being part of New England, western Massachusetts also boasts four distinct and enjoyable seasons, from the comfortable summer months to the colorful fall and pristine winters.
As a small city with surrounding rural towns, Pittsfield has a reasonable cost of living and relaxing short commutes without giving up modern life amenities. We are centrally located in the northeast, providing easy access to all of the attractions New England can offer. Boston and New York City are both less than a 3 hour drive away.
The Berkshires are Calling!