Manager, Plant Fund Accounting and Fixed Assets
Under the daily
guidance of the Manager, General Accounting, this position performs a variety
of property control, plant fund accounting and related functions for New
Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) and its affiliates. Conducts both on and off campus physical
inventories of all fixed and moveable capital assets; reconciles inventory
results with the Fixed Asset System and updates data as necessary. As part of the capital asset acquisition
process, locates and tags newly acquired capital assets and updates
information in the Fixed Asset System. Prepares supporting documents for construction and renovation
expenditures for completed projects and capital asset disposals; monthly
reconciliations; and various journal entries. Processes creation and termination of Plant Fund projects. Prepares reimbursement requests for
externally funded plant fund projects. Assists in the preparation of year-end audit schedules. Uses Banner Finance and its Fixed Asset
System, Microsoft Office, and Cognos report writer to accomplish job related
- Prepare inventory schedule for on-campus and off-campus capital assets.
- Perform inventories and update results in the Fixed Asset System.
- Follow up for items not found during initial inventory.
- Prepare inventory results summary for two-year cycle for all buildings.
Asset Acquisition and Disposal Functions
- Prepare capital asset documents for tagging; schedule tagging appointments.
- Complete on-site tagging with barcodes and update Fixed Asset System with required information.
- Prepare supporting documents for asset disposals. Process disposal transactions in the Fixed Asset System.
- Review expenditures to ensure proper classification between capital and non-capital expenditures.
- Prepare and process various journal entries, such as reclassification of expenditures.
- Assist Manager in processing journal entries for accrual/reversal of expenditures, construction in progress for incomplete projects and partially expensed capital equipment purchase orders.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation of the Fixed Asset System to the General Ledger.
- Prepare quarterly reconciliation of capital asset expenditures to capital asset additions.
- Create new project funds as requested.
- Process project fund terminations when plant fund project is identified as complete.
- Prepare reimbursement requests for externally funded projects.
- Assist with creation of management reports and audit requests using the Fixed Asset System or appropriate computer software including spreadsheets or databases.
- Attend staff meetings, training sessions and other required business gatherings.
- Participate in computer upgrades and conversions.
- Other duties as
- Associate's degree with a concentration in Accounting or Business required.
- 1-3 years of bookkeeping or related experience required.
- Must possess intermediate level Excel skills.
- Should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Banner Finance and fixed asset systems a plus.
- At the university's discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be exempted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.