The Sales Tax Operations Specialist II provides customer service to internal departments and external customers of CDW relating to sales and use tax matters. The Sales Tax Operations Specialist II is responsible for reviewing and validating customer tax exemption certificates in accordance with company policies and jurisdictional requirements and resolving questions regarding product taxability or jurisdictional tax rates. The specialist creates and updates tax exempt status in different all CDW systems and across all channels of the business.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Analyze resale and exemption certificates for accuracy, credibility, applicability and completeness and update customer account or order accordingly.
- Process tax exemption requests within a specified time frame.
- Educate internal departments as to the proper documentation required to meet tax exempt status requirements.
- Accurately calculate, document, and authorize tax credits for sales taxes.
- Maintain effective, responsive, and courteous communication with all customers.
- Respond to questions from external customers about exemption certificates, tax billing issues, product taxability, tax rates, and the taxability of specific sales transactions.
- Resolve tax related credit disputes prompted by customer non-payment of sales tax and tax related disputes resulting from invalid exemption certificates, questions regarding product taxability, or rate disputes.
- Manage the tax mailbox for special tax requests or projects.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of state and local regulations to interpret tax certificates, product taxability, and the application of tax rates.
- Demonstrate an intermediate to advanced understanding of tax exemption requirements for various levels of sales taxes and customer exemption types.
- Participate in research projects pertaining to exemption certificate requirements, product taxability, and taxability of specific sales transactions.
- Identify areas for process improvements and make appropriate recommendations.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance or Accounting and 1 year of corporate tax, credit, AR or customer service experience OR
- High School Diploma and 2 years of corporate tax, credit, AR or customer service experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Problem solving and research skills.
- Organized, methodical, and a strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and fast paced business environment.
- Understanding of Sales Tax, Accounting, AR/Credit and Customer Service procedures.
- Experience with tax compliance software and tax research software.
- RIA or CCH tax research experience.
- IBM iSeries or PeopleSoft experience.
- Vertex tax software experience.
- Experience in the technology industry.
- Bachelor's Degree and 3 years of sales tax experience OR
- High School Diploma and 4 years of sales tax experience.
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.