Leidos is seeking an experienced dynamic Control System Engineer to join a team that's executing multiple contracts and research activities to develop and field maritime sensors, payloads, and supporting infrastructure for next generation unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV) systems. The qualified candidate will work as part of an intra-disciplinary team to define, design, simulate, test, and field control systems for electro-mechanical assemblies, and subsea systems used in maritime applications.
Key aspects of the Control System Engineer position provide the applicant an opportunity to:
- Take responsibility for developing models, performing analysis and producing algorithms for the control and path estimation of unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs) .
- Define, simulate, and validate solutions which support system requirements for dynamic vehicle control system implementations.
- Influence mechanical, electrical designs, and software implementation.
- Play a role in defining processes and methods to improve existing control system designs.
- Work as part of a diverse team of professionals supporting component development and subsystem and vehicle integration.
Primary Responsibilities for this role include.
- Develop advanced control algorithms for vehicle systems including control of 3-phase Brushless DC (BLDC) electric motors, positional servos motors while leveraging a suite of dynamic sensors for feedback.
- Perform simulation and analysis of electric systems to optimize performance by ensuring control loop stability
- Conduct algorithm tuning and calibration by testing using a hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) dynamometer and in relevant environments.
- Assist in characterization efforts in order to meet system requirements and enhance system efficiency.
- Simulate, design, validate and test various control implementations.
- Communicate control systems concepts both verbally and visually.
- Develop project test plans and test procedures, provide test planning support, and assist in the execution of both lab testing and at-sea testing.
- Support development of new and existing system design standards to meet specific current and future requirements.
- Support multiple programs maintaining both project schedules and milestones.
- Capable of working with minimum supervision and full autonomy
- Up to 25% travel
- Requires BS degree and 8 - 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 - 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- Fluency in model-based design using Matlab/Simulink for modeling and simulation of electric drives.
- Fluency in C/C++ code creation and editing.
- Able to work with minimum supervision and full autonomy.
- Experience in embedded hardware and sensors (resolver, thermistor, current sensor...).
- Experience with sensor calibrations and tuning for motor drives.
- Experience in dynamometers, motor test equipment and motor and inverter test procedures
- Familiarity with Git based code repositories and Git workflow.
- Demonstrated understanding of the first principles to guide electro-mechanical system modeling
- Experience with state estimation methodologies using classical observers, Kalman Filter, etc.
- Experience with motor control and firmware development
- Experience in designing controllers using Model Predictive Control, Optimal Control and Adaptive Control theory
- Demonstrated influence in selection of sensors, actuators and electro-mechanical design
- Demonstrated experience implementing controls in production systems
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
- Experience with ROS systems and packages
Pay Range:Pay Range $94,250.00 - $145,000.00 - $195,750.00
- Active Secret Clearance or above.
- Prior Experience with unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs) and associated electronics/sensors, underwater cables/connectors, control and monitor electronics, power systems, launch and recovery subsystems, and system-to-host interfaces, including acoustic ranging and communications.
- Experience with optics, optical telemetry and electro-optic components.
- Development of test software and scripts on Linux/Windows environments.
- Demonstrated experience with Altium Designer or similar circuit design tools.
- Comfortable working around low voltage and high voltage systems
- Working knowledge of MATLAB, VISIO, and LTSpice software packages
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline onlyand not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.