Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Oversees the daily activities of the Accounts Payable staff and provides advanced Accounts Payable expertise and guidance to ensure the timely and accurate payment of invoices and check requests for the health system. Reconciles vendor statements and ensures that all open credits are validated and processed to the benefit of UNCHCS.
1. Accounts Payable - Works in conjunction with Corporate Accounting on annual 1099 preparations. Performs weekly check runs and necessary processes for check voids and lost check replacements. Process positive pay files after each check run. Advises management on issues of cash forecasting. Works with vendors for required W-9 and vendor registration information. Works with purchasing to identify and correct PO discrepancies. Reviews large vendor statements to address past dues and credit balances. Performs the work of Accounts Payable Technician to accommodate work load of the department when necessary.
2. Compliance - Reviews the output of the A/P unit to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and other regulatory requirements. Works with various auditors on research and/or responds to audit findings. Identifies and elevates potential compliance gaps. Randomly reviews check requests for approval compliance, reasonability and coding. Makes critical decisions based on information gathered from research and analysis to improve the performance of the A/P unit.
3. Manager Support - Provides general coverage of timecard approvals, PTO approval and check run coverage, as needed, in the absence of the department manager.
4. Reporting - Prepares reports at month end and year end to assure accrued receipts are reflected accurately for financials. Prepares some custom departmental reports using Lawson, PMM and Crystal.
5. System Interfaces - Processes system interfaces for patient refunds and A/P transactions. Resolves interface failures.
6. Team Lead - Serves as a resource to staff as to policies/procedures, rules/regulations and customer standards. Oversee the daily activities of Accounts Payable staff. Tracks workload leveling to assure equal distribution of work among A/P staff. Identifies and elevates potential disciplinary issues. Participates in team interviews to hire new staff.
7. Training - Provides training to A/P staff to ensure that the work can be completed accurately and timely.
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
* No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
* If a Bachelor's degree: Five (5) years progressively responsible accounts payable experience.
* If an Associate's degree: Nine (9) years progressively responsible accounts payable experience.
* If a High School diploma or GED: Thirteen (13) years progressively responsible accounts payable experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
* Demonstrated analytical ability and comprehensive knowledge of basic data analysis and communications tools including Excel and Word.
* High level of interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to effectively interface with all levels of management and staff throughout the health system.
* Ability to 10-key by touch.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Accounts Payable
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes