Surgical Tech Position Summary:
This individual fills the role of surgical technologist in the Operating Room. Surgical Technologist I understands and demonstrates the knowledge of surgical procedures. Assure all supplies and equipment are available for the procedure and in working condition. Confirm and/or assemble sterile instruments for use correctly. Anticipate the needs of the surgeon. They assist in keeping accurate account of medications, sharps, instruments, and sponges. They are responsible for maintaining and monitoring the sterile field.
- Hours: 6: 30 AM- 7: 00 PM
- Shift: Day Shift
- Location: My Michigan Health Operating Room, Midland, MI
What My Michigan offers their Surgical Techs:
- New competitive wages in 2022
- Sign on bonus included!
- New incentive pay for our on call schedule in 2022
- Alternating weekends or holidays.
- Benefits included within 30 days or less! Package including Medical, Dental, and Vision.
- Exposure to several different surgical services, including: Orthopedic, ENT, Open Heart, etc.
- $10,000 sign on bonus! It's a small token we can give as a thank you!
- Immediate time off! Yes, a work environment with work life balance!
- Internal promotion progression plan. Perfect your craft and get promoted for it!
- Culture of safety!
- We focus on patient experience and our quality of care.
- Tuition reimbursement to continue your education!
- Retirement fund with a company match!
- Professional advancement program available.
A day in the life as Surgical Tech at My Michigan Health
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedures and ability to problem solve in relation to the procedure being performed.
- Verifies items on the physician preference card.
- Accountable for supplies so that accurate patient charges are billed.
- Demonstrates proper use of equipment, assembling of equipment, disposables as well as cleaning and sterilizing.
- Assures all equipment, supplies and instruments are assembled correctly and in working condition for the surgical procedure.
- Maintains the sterile environments. Monitors the sterile field and recognizes breaks in technique.
- Sets up sterile field with instruments in a timely manner.
- Keeps accurate account of all medications, sponges, instruments and sharps on the sterile fields per policy.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates a positive, courteous and helpful attitude toward patient, visitors, physicians, and co-workers.
- Develops and maintains good working rapport with interdisciplinary personnel to meet the needs of each patient.
- Remains calm and efficient when working in stressful situations.
- Shares information and reports significant changes and/or abnormal findings to appropriate team members.
- Participates in regulatory surveys.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Assists with orientation, ongoing competencies, education, and staff development.
- Attends and participates in professional association activities and programs to assure being current on regulations, guidelines, and professional standards of care.
- Remains current on new developments by reading professional journals, and attending seminars.
- Fulfills on-call responsibilities and extra shift coverage as needed.
Required Education, Experience, Training and Skills:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Knowledge of surgical procedures and standards of practice through 6 months to 1 year experience working in the medical center or similar setting.
- Surgical Technologist independently scrubs basic surgical procedures.
- Operating room competency must be maintained.
- Manual dexterity and mechanical skills needed to properly use and hold surgical instruments.
- Interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with individuals and groups and interact with people at all levels to communicate ideas and concepts in a clear and understandable manner.
- A surgical tech who graduated from a CAAHEP-accredited surgical tech program or military surgical tech training program.
- Surgical Tech who graduated with a certificate who holds the certification preferred.